WARNING: This post is dark and full of Game of Thrones Spoilers. Turn back now if you wish to continue to know nothing!
Game of Thrones Season 6 wraps up tonight but we can’t help but wonder if some of the biggest remaining GoT mysteries will be revealed in tonight’s super-sized episode, The Winds of Winter. Let’s break down the top 5 popular finale predictions and theories, in no particular order:
- R+L = J: Could tonight be the night we find out Jon Snow’s real lineage? This theory has been circling through GoT fandom for quite some time and suggests that Jon is not Eddard Stark’s son but, in fact, his nephew. We could possibly see this all unfold through another Bran Stark vision quest back to The Tower of Joy where it is revealed that Jon’s true mother is Lyanna (L), Ned’s sister and his father is actually Rhaegar Targaryen (R). According to the theory, Rhaegar and Lyanna actually ran away together to pursue their forbidden romance and, fans believe Lyanna actually died giving birth to Jon but not before asking her brother, Ned, to raise Jon as his own and keeping his Targaryen lineage a secret.
- Lady StoneHeart: She is one of the few remaining character from the books who has not yet made her way into the show but, will she? The Lady StoneHeart character is a resurrected, zombie version of Catelyn Stark whose corpse is found by the Brotherhood without Banners after The Red Wedding. Lady StoneHeart beomes the leaer of the Brotherhood and eventually ends up having a confrontation with Brienne, almost hanging her in order to persuade her to hunt down Jaime Lannister for past crimes against her family. Throughout this season, there have been references to The Red Wedding and, we know, from the released Season 6 pictures, that Jaime Lannister and Walder Frey are together. Could Lady StoneHeart be on her way to make sure Jaime and Walder pay for their crimes?
- Cersei Pyromania: Cersei’s trial at the hands of the High Sparrow may be upon us and, if that’s the case, we think things are about to really heat up. With a trial by combat no longer an option, Cersei’s is left in her most desperate and vulnerable state yet. If she has any hope of regaining power, she will need to wipe out the High Sparrow and the Tyrells. What better way to do that than to burn down the Sept of Baelor using wildfire, which may or may not be stored in a room below. With wildfire rumored to be hidden all around the city, this theory has major ramifications of possible death, most shockingly for King Tommen and Queen Margaery. Shame. Shame. Shame.
- Daenerys arrives at Westeros: If she plans to invade Westeros, we could possibly see a Dany vs. The Starks showdown. Dany believes she is entitled to the Westeros Kingdom and, she is slowly turning more and more ruthless as the series progresses. With Varys on a mysterious mission (possibly to Dorne) to (supposedly) recruit allies for Dany in Westeros, it seems clear that something big is coming. (There is also a separate theory that Varys is actually planning to sabotage Dany which would add an interesting twist).
- Could Sansa be pregnant?: There have been some recent hints which have led many fans to believe Sansa is pregnant with the child of Ramsay Bolton. In past episodes, Sansa has said to Littlefinger that she could still feel what Ramsay had done to her. In the conclusion scene of Battle of the Bastards, Ramsay says to Sansa that he will always be a part of her. Does this simply mean that Sansa will never forget the horrible tortures that he put her through or, is there a living, breathing reminder in the works. And, if she is pregnant, will this force her to wed with Littlefinger in order to conceal the identity of the baby’s father?
With so many crazy theories swirling around the internet, one thing is for certain, tonight’s episode is going to be amazing.
What predictions do you have for tonight’s Game of Thrones season finale? Let us know in the comment section below!
A karaoke obsessed, craft beer enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture, Denise enjoys all facets of entertainment from Broadway to box office blockbusters. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, concerts (lots and lots of concerts), volunteering, reading and playing with her rescue kitten, Samantha (who rescued who, right?).