Ever since the series started, we’ve gotten more and more hints of Mrs Beakley being more than just Scrooge’s housekeeper. Is she a spy? Is she an assassin? Is she all of those things and more? Well this week we finally got that answer as we not only learned Mrs Beakley’s backstory, but also got our first ever Webby/ McDuck team-up!
So pull up your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 17, “From the Confidential Case Files of Agent 22!”
So it turns out Mrs Beakley truly was a spy in her day; but not just any spy – Agent 22! As you’d imagine, this episode was filled with classic spy/ James Bond motifs. From acronyms galore (ie: S.H.U.S.H. , F.O.W.L. , etc) to another veteran Disney character (Ludwig Von Drake) appearing as the Q/ gadget provider, this episode had a plethora of Bond references for fans to enjoy. Like seriously, even Scrooge’s trick cane (the Action Cane PPK) is named after James Bond’s usual weapon of choice, the Walther PPK.
Though as fun as it was to finally get confirmation on Mrs Beakley’s backstory, the real highlight of this episode is how it’s the first Scrooge and Webby adventure. Scrooge even points this out from the start of the episode when they have breakfast tea together. That’s the most screen time they’ve ever shared. Sure they’ve been in a large group together, but this is the first time it’s just them. We’ve known from the series start that Webby is in awe of the McDuck family. One of the reasons she treasures the nephews so much (at least initially) is because they are her connection to the McDuck family besides just being the granddaughter of the housekeeper.
And this episode made the most of that time by giving these two real character development. The flashbacks serve to help juxtapose Scrooge and Beakley’s original mission with Scrooge and Webby’s current mission. And the best part is that whereas they start off with Scrooge seemingly taking over the Beakley role and Webby taking over the Scrooge role (ie: Scrooge leading Webby like Beakley originally did, Webby causing trouble by making a battle cry like Scrooge originally did, etc), this evens out as Webby starts taking on the Beakley role (ie: saving Scrooge from the bubble sentry like Beakley originally did).
This all serves to show Scrooge and Webby as true adventure partners – equals! Scrooge even comments about how Webby is a better adventure partner than the nephews. Throw in the heart to heart moments and Scrooge telling Webby to refer to him as “Uncle Scrooge” from now on rather than “Mr McDuck”, and this episode gave us all feels. Perhaps this will become even more important in the eventual Magica showdown. Or maybe we’ll see a Part 2 of the Black Heron story at some point. Either way, I can’t wait to see more of this unlikely duo.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- I’m so glad the “Ottoman Empire” show is back. Haven’t seen this since Episode 3
- Ludwig Von Drake also appeared in the original Ducktales series, but there he was a psychiatrist.
- If you’re wondering why those ‘ancients’ in the flashback look so familiar, that’s because they’re the Gummi Bears – another Disney show from the late 80s/ early 90s. And their look/ positions are not subtle either. Just compare it with the above video thumbnail!
- Jack the Tripper instead of Jack the Ripper… nice save.
- Fiendish Organization for World Larceny (F.O.W.L.) … that’s almost too good
- We hear Mrs Beakley’s first name for the first time in this series: Bentina!
- It’s interesting to note that how Scrooge falsely described Webby to Black Heron is pretty spot on for her original Ducktales incarnation. Yet another night and day transformation that comes on the heels of last week’s episode with Doofus Drake.
- Webby saved the bounce formula. Wonder if/ when that will show up again.
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Mmmm. Taste the savings” (Scrooge)
- “Maybe Donald tried to make an omelet again?” / “Impossible. He still hasn’t figured out how to get out of the pantry” / *loud banging* (Webby/ Scrooge/ Donald)
- “Untold chaos. Dark artifacts. A man has his hobbies” (Scrooge)
- “You know most kids wouldn’t get this excited about impending doom. Louie mostly just cries.” (Scrooge)
- “You just had to yell a battle cry didn’t you!” (Beakley)
Episode 16 – Episode 15 – Episode 14 – Episode 13 – Episode 12 – Episode 11 – Episode 10 – Episode 09 – Episode 08 – Episode 07 – Episode 06 – Episode 05 – Episode 04 – Episode 03 – Episode 02 – Episode 01