FanFest

A truly fun experience!

The Walking Dead: $300 Million Profits Trial Not Likely to Include Creator’s Profanity-Laced Emails

Published on March 4th, 2021 | Updated on March 4th, 2021 | By FanFest

As the show is coming to an end, a trial involving The Walking Dead is just heating up!  After a judge’s ruling, a New York jury will not hear the profanity packed emails of original showrunner Frank Darabont.  The case is set for trial over $300 million profits participation.

“The Court is not swayed by Defendants’ argument that, absent Mr. Darabont’s emails, jurors could speculate as to why Mr. Darabont got fired and infer that AMC fired Mr. Darabont to limit his compensation,” wrote NY Supreme Court Justice Joel Cohen in an order Tuesday.

“However, if Plaintiffs were to expressly put at issue AMC’s motive for terminating Mr. Darabont, for example by alleging that AMC terminated Mr. Darabont as part of a scheme to deprive him of additional compensation, then the door may be open to such evidence,” he added. “That determination will be made at trial.”

AMC previously supplied emails that revealed some pretty serious language from Darabont regarding the series, which includes such language as, “better wake the f*ck up and pay attention. Or I will start killing people and throwing bodies out the door.”

Darabont was fired before the second season debuted in October 2011. Darabont and CAA then filed suit against AMC in New York in 2013.  The show has seen massive success, only to be followed by the biggest decline in viewership in the history of television.  That said, the show has been a financial boom to AMC, who picked up the show after it being brought to them by Darabont.

CAA and Darabont claim that they’ve been withheld from hundreds of millions in profits from the once massive show.

“We are pleased with the results on the motions in limine, and Plaintiffs are ready to prove their claims at trial,” Dale Kinsella of Darabont and CAA’s legal team at Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump LLP told Deadline. “As expected, Darabont’s emails, which AMC has tried to highlight in every motion for seven years, were excluded from trial because they have nothing to do with the substantive issues in this matter. Now we can get back to the matter at hand, which is compensating the creators for what they rightly deserve.”

The trial is set for April 26 but the pandemic is limiting in-person appearances in court, so that is likely to delay a jury trial… again.

We’ll keep you posted on all of the events!

P.S.

The Walking Dead returns this Sunday with a new episode!

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

SEEN ON

as seen on promo graphic

SEEN ON

as seen on promo graphic