It was just announced that Sonequa Martin-Green (who plays Sasha Williams on The Walking Dead) has been cast as the lead in the new CBS series, Star Trek: Discovery. It was reported that she will play a lieutenant commander although the name of the character has not been announced. Former Executive Producer Bryan Fuller described Martin-Green’s character as a “lieutenant commander with caveats” and that “Discovery will tell that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.”
Unlike any of the other Star Trek series, this story line will not feature the Captain as the main but will instead focus on Martin’s character as“the main protagonist of Discovery”.
The first announcements that a 13 episode Star Trek series was in development with CBS network were made in the summer of 2016. Here are some of the things that have been shared in earlier interviews about the show that fans can look forward to:
- The series will incorporate an event in “Star Trek” lore that has been talked about but not explored, one which will allow for a serialized story that takes its protagonist on a journey of self-discovery.
- There will “absolutely” be a gay character, Fuller says. “I still have in my garage the hate mail that ‘Star Trek: Voyager’ got because of a rumor that Jeri Ryan’s character was going to be gay,” he said. He resolved that if he ever did another “Star Trek” series it would introduce someone who is gay.
- There will be robots!
- The aliens will be new and improved, and probably in greater numbers than typical for “Star Trek.” ‘’You usually have one person with a bumpy forehead and seven other people who look relatively normal,” Fuller said. The series will feature both newbies and the re-imagining of familiar aliens – although Fuller acknowledged some Trekkies resist change.
- The series takes place in an era that bridges the original 1960s “Star Trek” and “Star Trek: Enterprise,” the 2001-05 series set about a century before. But “Discovery” will be much closer in time to Capt. James T. Kirk’s world, so it will be able to play with the design “iconography” of those spaceships and uniforms, Fuller said.
- Some potential elements include the introduction of young versions of familiar characters like Dr. McCoy, but not in season one, and perhaps the inclusion of Amanda Grayson, Spock’s mother.
There’s already speculation floating around the web that “Sasha” could be killed off in the second half of TWD Season 7. An AMC rep maintains that the actress remains a series regular on the hit series. Several actors that are current, main characters have filmed other projects while working on The Walking Dead– Norman Reedus filmed Triple Nine in the summer of 2014 and Melissa McBride filmed The Happys that same year just to name a few.
Star Trek: Discovery will debut its first episode on CBS in May 2017 before it moves to its permanent home, the online video service CBS All Access. Sonequa joins a cast that already includes Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp as Starfleet officers and Chris Obi, Shazad Latif and Mary Chieffo as Klingons.
The mid-season premiere of The Walking Dead is February 12, 2017 on AMC.
Covering superheroes, anything dark, horror, and more! Lead writer for Fan Fest