“Do You Hear What I Hear?” “It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!” No, we’re not talking about decking the halls, jingling bells or roasting chestnuts on an open fire. We are talking about treating yourself and maybe your family members, if you’re one of the lucky few, to an early Christmas present in the form of San Diego Comic Con badges for 2018!
Yes, you heard that right! Open Registration, a.k.a. general sale is happening in less than 2 weeks. December 9th to be exact. Open Registration means that all badge sales are open to the public as opposed to Pre-Registration or Return Registration which is for attendees that attended SDCC the prior year.
What does this mean for all of you? Well, for those of you that have been hoping and praying and willing to sacrifice your first-born to attend the mother of all cons, and if you are eligible, it means that THIS is your chance!
- As stated before, you must be eligible to attend in order to participate in Open Reg. You must have a Comic Con Member ID that was created and confirmed BEFORE November 27, 2017, at 9:30 AM (PST). To check to see if you or your family members are eligible to participate, log in to your SDCC Member ID account and check under the “registration info” tab.
- You must NOT have purchased or registered for Preview Night (PN) during Return Registration or through a Pro or Press badge.
- If eligible, each eligible member will receive an email with their own “unique” registration code that they will use to log in to the Expo Logic waiting room. The link to the waiting room will also be provided in the email. You should receive this email no later than 48 hours prior to sale. If for any reason you do not receive an email, your “unique” code should be available in the “registration info” tab in your Member ID account.
- ON SALE DATE, all eligible members will be able to access the Expo Logic waiting room starting at 8 AM (PST). There is no rush to get in any earlier than anyone else. Just make sure you are in after 8 AM but BEFORE 9 AM (PST) when the sale begins.
- Badges sale begins a little after 9 AM (PST). As long as you are in the waiting room, all you have to do is wait. DO NOT REFRESH PAGE OR LEAVE. The page refreshes itself. As long as you see the infamous blue circle turning, you are good. It’s all a waiting game after that.
- BE PATIENT! SDCC badge sales are very stressful, I know. I have participated in everyone for the past 5 years.
- If you are lucky enough to get in, you will have 15 minutes to make your badge purchases. Keep in mind that there is a very limited supply of badges and certain days will go first. You will be able to choose badges from whatever days are still available at the time you get in.
- Preview night is the most limited and they tend to go first! If I were to compare them to WSC Photo Ops or Autos, they are the Andrew Lincoln of SDCC badges. Next, Saturday will go. These are your Norman Reeduses. Then, Friday will be the next to go. Your JDMs and the last two days to sell out will be Thursday and Sunday badges.
- At this point, it will be very difficult to obtain a 4-day plus Preview Night badge but it is doable.
- To better your chances of getting badges, I would suggest joining buying groups with people you trust or share common interests with. There are great ones through social media platforms. Just make sure they are what you need and don’t be afraid to ask questions. The more people helping, the better for you!
- Each member can purchase badges for up to 3 members, including themselves. If you are eligible but do not need a badge for yourself, you can purchase for 3 other members.
- You will need EACH eligible member’s Comic Con Member ID and Last Name and know what days each member desires. (You should have this info prior to sale) Remember that you may not get all the days you want, so just a heads up.
- You must make the full purchase using only ONE credit/Debit card. SDCC does not do Paypal!
- All purchases will be charged an extra $5 handling fee PER MEMBER.
- Once your purchase is complete, you will be sent to a confirmation page. SCREENSHOT THIS PAGE. You will also get a purchase confirmation email if you are the purchaser. If someone has purchased you badges for you, you will receive a badge confirmation email within 72 hours of when badges were purchased. If you do not receive an email, CHECK SPAM FOLDERS or contact Comic Con International.
For those members wishing to take their children along, ONE child age 12 and under is free with each paid adult. Members 13-17 are considered “juniors” and are required to have paid junior badges. More information on child badges is available on the SDCC website.
Just a real quick run through on how to buy badges. Keep in mind that having a Member ID does not guarantee you entry into all things SDCC! Come on! Nothing having to do with SDCC is easy. That’s why we love it so much!
Be sure to keep an eye out, in a day or so, for more detailed tips on how to make your Open Registration experience run more smoothly.
So, call in sick, turn your ringer off, put the “do not disturb” sign on your door, quit your job…wait…don’t, because SDCC is expensive…let the pets out and send the kiddos to grandma’s house! San Diego Comic Con Open Registration is just days away!
May the force be with you and the odds be ever in your favor!
Shannon Toohey is Editor-In-Chief of FanFest.com. She graduated from Hofstra University in 2015 with a B.A. in Journalism from the Lawrence Herbert School of Communications. Shannon has been a proud member of the Fan Fest team since 2013. Tweet her in your prettiest bird voice: @shannontoo