Hasn’t it felt like the wait for Preacher has been, like, forever? It seems like it was ages ago that AMC announced that Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg’s adaptation of the cult classic comic would be hitting the small screen. Well the wait is finally over as tomorrow will see the premier episode hit our screens. But this begs the question, what can we expect?
This is where things are going to get a little awkward for me Geeklings… I never read the Preacher comic. Once I learned that I was going to be doing reviews for the site, I wanted to but never got around to it. For that I’m sorry. But I’m also not. I kind of like going into something new with no basis what so ever. I can enjoy/review Preacher as a television show instead of getting pissed off about how much it strays from the source material or maybe doesn’t even pay attention to it. I will be relaxed and willing to watch what transpires and appreciate that. Now I’m sure there are some of you out there who will think that this is blasphemy and the crappiest way to introduce myself to reviewing the show, but I stand by this. I’ll rely on you guys to tell me how it differs, strays, or captures the comic. Plus who knows, maybe I’ll fall madly in love with the show and by episode three be consuming the comics just as fast. It’s possible as I have a very addictive personality. Don’t hate me.
So, this brings the question of what we should expect around again. From what I’ve read and what I’ve seen I know that we’re dealing with a very unconventional preacher here (hello very obvious statement). AMC has presented us with some fantastic anti-heroes in the past and Preacher looks to continue that tradition. Here’s a quick break down of some the things that seem to be on the horizon.
- Our preacher, whose name is Jesse Custer, experiences a super natural event in his church which I believe leaves him possessed. It is clear based on the trailers that Jesse isn’t quite a good man, and his way of treating religion comes a bit unorthodox. Especially when you consider that men of God are supposed to be good men and not anti-heroes. I love when lines get blurred.
- There are vampires. And that alone is awesome. Who doesn’t love vampires?
- There will be a quest for God.
- There is a character named Arse Face because his face looks like, well… an arse.
- The show will walk a very fine line of graphic nature. From what I understand about the comic series it doesn’t shy away from violence or other subject matters of the adult variety, and AMC has really done it’s best to present TV that resonates, shocks, and isn’t shy from hitting subject matters that make people squirm.
- It also looks like that there will be characters who have super human abilities. The trailer attached here shows a man lighting a cigarette with fire produced from his finger. Is that because he’s super human or possessed by some hell demon? Guess we’re going to have to wait and see.
I for one am very excited about tomorrow nights premiere, and not just because it airs after Game of Thrones. There is a tone in these trailers that implies that Preacher could be different from some of the other things currently on TV. With most shows going into their summer breaks, it’ll good to see something refreshing with a western mentality that could stir up some conversation.
How about you guys? You excited for tomorrow nights episode? Do you think Preacher will be able to capture the feel of the comics or come across as a cheap rip off? Sound off in the comments below.
Images from AMC
Kevin Carey is an
unapologetic geek who strongly
believes his mind works much like an episode of
Community. Has a strong love for pop culture that focuses on
TV, comics, movies,
and books. Kevin also enjoys writing fiction and has self published a short
Amazon. While awaiting his Hogwarts acceptance letter, Kevin lives on
Long Island with his cat and extensive
Pop Vinyl collection. You can find him here on Fan Fest, at his blog I Am Geek, or the I Am Geek Podcast spreading geekiness to all.