The last 2 episodes have seen Claire reuniting with several loved ones- Jamie, Fergus, and Ian Murray. Now, she and Jamie are heading to Lallybroch to return Young Ian to his parents. This means even more reunions for Claire, and therefore even more lies about where she’s been for the past 20 years. Hopefully she takes time along the road to plan out her words, because here are 5 people that Claire definitely owes an explanation.
1) Jenny Murray. Jamie’s sister (and Ian’s wife) is every inch as stubborn as him. She and Claire grew very close when Claire and Jamie were living at Lallybroch before, so losing Claire without an explanation was undoubtedly hard for her. How will she react when Claire shows back up on her doorstep after two decades, and still without an explanation?
2) Ian Murray. Young Ian’s father came to Edinburgh searching for his son. Jamie outright lied to him, saying that Young Ian wasn’t with him. It’s going to be an interesting scene, to say the least, when Jamie and Claire show up with the boy. They’ll not only have to explain why they lied about Young Ian’s whereabouts, but Ian will likely want more of an explanation about Claire’s reappearance than he got back in the brothel.
3) Ned Gowan. Firstly, how is Ned still alive? Secondly, thank goodness Ned is still alive. He’s the resident lawyer for the McKenzie clan (and apparently the Fraser clan as well), and he’s the best candidate for helping Jamie out of his newly-discovered matrimonial mess. We haven’t seen Ned yet, but hopefully he hasn’t changed much in the intervening time. Claire may need a friendly face amid all the hostility.
4) Fergus. Jamie and Claire left their adopted son back in Edinburgh to deal with the fallout from the print shop fire. There’s an interesting role reversal going on between Fergus and Claire. Now that he’s all grown up, Fergus has much more insider knowledge about Jamie’s business than Claire does. He’s grown into a strong, intelligent, and capable man, which means that he’s not likely to believe Claire’s story for long. At some point, he will want to know the truth.
5) Jamie’s 2nd wife. This is really the one we’re interested in, and admittedly it’s Jamie who really owes everyone the explanation. Fergus let it slip last episode that Jamie is married to another woman. We need to know who she is, why Jamie married her, and why he hasn’t been able to tell Claire about her. We also really need to know how Claire reacts to the news. If the two women end up meeting, will Claire be able to explain herself as Jamie’s first wife? Or will she decide that some revelations are simply too big to overcome?
Outlander episode 308, “First Wife,” airs Sunday November 5th at 8 pm on Starz. Viewers can catch up on previous episodes now at Starz.com or via the Starz mobile app. Check back here to FanFest.com for full episode recaps and future episode previews.
Kade is often described as, “here just a minute ago” and can often be found just around the corner from where you’d expect. Approaching is not encouraged, unless you come with a strong wifi connection and a nice charcuterie board with gluten-free breads.