The Umbrella Academy began as a comic book and is now coming to Netflix.
Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance debuted the series in 2007 and will serve as executive producer on the Netflix series
The live action series follows the estranged members of a dysfunctional family of superheroes — The Monocle, Spaceboy, The Kraken, The Rumor, The Séance, Number Five, The Horror, and the seemingly powerless Vanya — as they work together to solve their father’s mysterious death while coming apart at the seams due to their divergent personalities and abilities.
Netflix has officially released the cast list.
- Ellen Page will star as Vanya, who is estranged from the rest of the family because of her lack of powers.
- Tom Hopper plays Luther, aka Spaceboy who is part gorilla.
- Emmy Raver-Lampman will play Allison, aka The Rumor, who can alter reality by lying.
- David Castaneda is The Kraken, an expert knife thrower and master at holding his breath.
- Robert Sheehan is perfectly cast as The Seance, who has the ability to contact the dead.
- Aidan Gallagher is Number Five. He can travel in time and does not age.
- Colm Feore will play Sir Reginald Hargreeves, the leader of the Umbrella Academy. He is the billionaire who adopted all of the strange children that made up the superhero team.
- Adam Godley will play Pogo, a genetically-engineered and talking chimpanzee.
- Ashley Madekwe plays Detective Patch.
- Mary J. Blige will play the role of Cha-Cha, a time-traveling assassin.
- Cameron Britton will play Cha-Cha’s sidekick Hazel.
- John Magaro will be playing Leonard Peabody, Vanya’s romantic interest.
- Kate Walsh will play The Handler, officially described as “a composed and confident leader of a mysterious, bureaucratic company who is always ready to manage any situation — though it’s best not to get on her bad side. Her charm is her greatest strength and she uses it to her advantage to complete the business of her organization.”
All 10 one-hour episodes of The Umbrella Academy will premiere will premiere on February 15, 2019.
When Beth “grows up” she wants to see her creations appear on the screen and stage. In her free time, Beth blogs about her love of craft beer and writes screenplays. She received her bachelors in journalism from Youngstown State and received her masters in communication from The University of Akron. She is honored to be a part of the FanFest family.