“Bringing you the Finest in Seldom Seen Sports.”
In 2004, the movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story took theaters by storm and forever changed our views on the sport of competitive dodgeball and other “seldom seen sports.” In the movie, the dodgeball championship match aired on the fiction network, ESPN 89: The Ocho which of course became one of the many quotable jokes from the film.
In honor of the beloved film, ESPN (the real network) for one day only, will be devoting one of its channels to the wonderful world of seldom seen sports and will be rebranding from ESPNU to ESPN 8: “The Ocho”. The switch will occur on August 8th (8/8) and will feature a killer line up including Disc Golf, Ultimate Trampoline Dodgeball, the Firefighters World Challenge and the Championship of Bags, just to name a few.
No really, this is happening. You can check out the promo video below as well as a highlight list of the “seldom seen sports,” being featured. Also below is a complete schedule for the full day courtesy of ESPN’s press release.
The film Dodgeball starred Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn as rival gym owners . Vaughn’s character Peter La Fleur is about to lose his Average Joe’s Gym to Stiller who plays White Goodman, owner of the high tech Globo Gym. The only way La Fleur can earn enough money to save his gym from being sold is to win the grand prize in the professional dodgeball tournament against Globo Gym. In addition to Stiller and Vaughn, the film also starred Christine Taylor and Justin Long.
What do you think of this hysterial rebranding? Will you be tuning in?
- 2016 American Disc Golf Championship: A sport that involves players throwing a disc at a target while adhering to rules similar to golf. More info here.
- 2016 WFTDA Roller Derby Championships: A game involving two teams of five women each, in which each team is on offense and defense simultaneously as they assist the designated “jammer” around the track. The jammer scores points for her team by lapping members of the opposing team. More info here.
- 2016 Sky Zone Ultimate Trampoline Dodgeball: Traditional dodgeball with the added element of players using trampolines during play. More info here.
- Firefighters World Challenge XXV: Firefighters from around the world compete in teams to complete a series of five tasks including climbing a five-story tower, dragging hoses and rescuing a life-sized, 175 lb. “victim”, all while wearing full bunker gear. More info here.
- 2016 Kabaddi World Cup Final: A contact team sport that originated in India involving two teams and unique rule. The goal is for each team’s “raider” to tag as many of the opposing team’s players as possible and return to his/her home half all while taking just a single breath. More info here.
- 2017 Championship of Bags: A cornhole tournament for a variety of skill levels. More info here.
- Moxie Games: An uncanny, new and amazing event which combines a variety of sports into one, such as dodgeball and juggling, martial arts and volleyball, and table tennis and soccer
- U.S. Open Ultimate Championship: A self-officiating competition with two teams on a field similar to a football field, but the object used is a disc. The objective of the game is to catch a pass in the opponent’s end zone. More info here.
|Tues, Aug 8||Midnight||2016 American Disc Golf Championship||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|2 a.m.||2016 WFTDA Roller Derby Championships||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|4 a.m.||2016 Sky Zone Ultimate Trampoline Dodgeball||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|5:30 a.m.||Firefighters World Challenge XXV||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|8 a.m.||2016 Kabaddi World Cup Final||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|9 a.m.||World Darts Championship||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|11:30 a.m.||Arm Wrestling: Best of WAL 2016 Championship||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|12:30 p.m.||2017 Championship of Bags||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|2:30 p.m.||EVO 2017 World Championship – Street Fighter||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|5:00 p.m.||Moxie Games||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
|7 p.m.||U.S. Open Ultimate Championship||ESPN8: “The Ocho”|
A karaoke obsessed, craft beer enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture, Denise enjoys all facets of entertainment from Broadway to box office blockbusters. In her spare time, she enjoys photography, concerts (lots and lots of concerts), volunteering, reading and playing with her rescue kitten, Samantha (who rescued who, right?).