Ducktales has been really good about finding its rhythm with storylines. Some weeks are pallet cleansers that give some character development; but others further alternating storylines. The biggest thus far are Della Duck, Magica De Spell and Gizmoduck; and it’ll be interesting to see if they’ll all become connected at some point much like how an individual episode’s sub plots often converge. Though its way too soon to talk about that – or is it? We might find out next week!
As for this week, we revisited the Gizmoduck storyline which not only gave Fenton a proper hero origin story; but also gave us a much more villainous Beaks! So pull up your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 18, “Who is Gizmoduck?!”
The True Origin Story – For Hero & Villain:
We’ve seen the Gizmoduck story evolve bit by bit. We got post credits hint in “The Great Dime Chase” and the prequel in “Beware The B.U.D.D.Y. System!”; but now it’s the main film! The origin story! And in many ways, this was precisely that – his standalone film. We’re reminded of where he’s come from (an unpaid, overworked intern), we see his home-life, and how he becomes a hero. But every good hero story needs a good villain, and this week we got that as Beaks truly comes into his own!
Up until now, Beaks was just the lazy/ no-talent billionaire who made all his money by selling hype. In fact, that was one of the primary jokes/ not-so-secret reveals in his last episode “Beware the B.U.D.DY. System” – where we the audience knew full well he didn’t do anything to fix the self-driving system, but instead just re-branded it. Though that all changed this episode. Sure we see him re-brand Gizmoduck as Waddleduck – new theme song and all – but everything else is frighteningly new! We even hear early on that he’s been locked in his office working for long hours…. Beaks…. WORKING?!?!?! And his tech shows it because it actually does work!
The highlight of this episode (good vs evil-wise) is when we see Waddleduck try to save a family who’s being robbed; but Beaks makes it so that only those who download the App deserve being saved. Mark Beaks has become a stunning commentary about the potential evils of social media – and not as scarring as Black Mirror‘s. And that makes Fenton’s rise to hero all the more heartfelt. As Momma Cabrera said, he already had all the right intentions; he just needed to figure out what he wanted to do. And this all culminates in a wonderful Dark Knight Rises-esque conclusion. Fenton is no longer an intern, mascot or fool in general. He is Gizmoduck and the man Scrooge has entrusted the city of Duckberg to saving in his absence.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- Really Beagle Boys? A Mighty Ducks mask… nice. The 90s really had so many Duck-themed animated shows.
- Looks like Big Time is still upset with Huey about the Jr Woodchuck shenanigans in Episode 16.
- “Hey, looks like your processor core is overloading. Would you like to vent excess energy?” Can we take a second to appreciate that Little Bulb is also the Clippy-style icon for the Gizmo suit?
- ‘Patos de Passions’… Passion Ducks… amazing! Yet another show on this show I want to actually be real.
- That Waddleduck theme is going to be stuck in my head now…
- I love that they chose Mark Beaks’ Gizmoduck suit up to be in the Sailor Moon style.
- An interesting commentary can also be made this episode about how some (Gearloose) wish to squander gifts while others (Beaks) wish to control them. Good thing Fenton came along!
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Stay back Robo-Nerd, or the Normal Nerd gets it!” (Big Time)
- “Ahh, the money’s on fire! All the money’s on fire!” (Bank Teller)
- “You wanna do so much, you have all the right intentions, but you can’t do everything at once. “ (wise advice from Momma Crackshell-Cabrera)
- “The suit is not Gizmoduck, you are…. Huh, that’s a robotics badge and philosophy badge all in one” (Huey)
Episode 17 – Episode 16 – Episode 15 – Episode 14 – Episode 13 – Episode 12 – Episode 11 – Episode 10 – Episode 09 – Episode 08 – Episode 07 – Episode 06 – Episode 05 – Episode 04 – Episode 03 – Episode 02 – Episode 01
Joe primarily covers video games news (i.e.: Pokemon, Spyro & Destiny) as well as the occasional ‘Theory Thursday’ pieces. Before writing for FanFest, Joe was the Creator & Editor of TheInsightfulPanda.com. He is also an illustrator and is currently working on Season 3 of his not-for-profit, fan-art crossover series PokéRangers on Instagram.