Last episode, I pondered if the show would be hinting at a past romance between Scrooge and his nemesis Magica de Spell. And whereas this week’s episode didn’t confirm that, it did add some support… while also hurting it… it’s complicated…. Much like the relationship between Scrooge and Goldie O’Guilt.
This might have been a simple adventure episode, but it certainly gave us a lot to think about. So pull up your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 15, “The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains!”
On the outside, this episode was a fun Mr & Mrs. Smith-style episode. It was all about Scrooge and Goldie – and Mr. Third Wheel… I mean Glomgold. We’re so used to this show having a balance of characters, that it was weird seeing so much happen for just two characters involved. By far, this was the most focused episode yet in terms of revealing backstory for a character. And that was a big step.
This shows that despite being a kids’ show, Ducktales can indeed tackle complex relationships. And this refusal to back away from complex topics is one of the reasons this show is so important. And whereas Scrooge and Goldie’s relationship does make a Scrooge and Magica one less likely, it doesn’t make it impossible considering the surprising revelations we received in this episode as well.
In Scrooge and Goldie’s opening exchange, there were a lot of random treasure names thrown around. Though there was one moment when Scrooge revealed that he was trapped in a timeless demon dimension for a long time and that’s why he hasn’t appeared to have aged. Similarly, he also reveals to the boys that he was a part of the original gold rush, which leads even the boys to ask: “How old are you?”
With Scrooge having so much time under his belt, it’s more than possible he had another girlfriend at one point. This could also explain why he chose to love Goldie because she loved Gold more than him – rather despite. Maybe I’m looking too much into it, but you have to hand it to the writers for weaving such a complex backstory.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- Of course Scrooge speaks bear. How? Because he’s Scrooge McDuck – which is now the “Because I’m Batman” of Ducktales.
- Flintheart Glomgold won’t be a third wheel… except when he totally is…
- “White Agony Plains”? Is this a White Plains joke? As a New Yorker I feel like this is a White Plains joke lol
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Aren’t you rich? Why do you need free food?”/ “I didn’t get rich by wasting money. I got rich by besting my enemies” ( Louie/ Scrooge)
- “It’s not the cut of the suit, it’s how you wear it. Take my playfully loose bowtie: Is he coming? Is he going? Did he party so hard it just flew open?” (Dewey)
- “What is it? A cursed villain?” / “A villainous curse?”… / “Worse, its my ex” (Louie/ Dewey/ Scrooge)
- “Ex? As in ex-girlfriend?” / “Ex-partner, Ex-rival, ex-everything!” (Huey/ Scrooge)
- “I am both disturbed and intrigued” (Dewey)
- “Ah Goldie, I was so busy for treasure I ignored the one staring me in the face… and stabbing me in the back” (Scrooge)
Joe primarily covers video games news (i.e.: Pokemon, Spyro & Destiny) as well as the occasional ‘Theory Thursday’ pieces. Before writing for FanFest, Joe was the Creator & Editor of TheInsightfulPanda.com. He is also an illustrator and is currently working on Season 3 of his not-for-profit, fan-art crossover series PokéRangers on Instagram.