Between backstories, hunts for answers and the introduction of fan-favorites, Ducktales has had quite a busy few weeks. It’s time to take it easy; but what some see as a chance for a ‘filler episode’, Ducktales sees as a chance to make one of their funniest episodes yet. So pull up your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 12, “The Missing Links of Moorshire!”
As Webby says in the episode, “Not everything is a life lesson”; and whereas this is a funny aside/ response to Dewey feeling unsupported, it’s actually a pretty good summary of this episode. There was no larger connections to the series plot, it was just a fun self-contained episode. The main source of comedic timing was Huey and Launchpad who served as Sports Announcers as well as the general back and forth. More than any other episode, this had load of fun exchanges. It wasn’t just one off comments, but rather follow up upon follow up. Throw in a couple of Kelpies who keep trying to kindly lure our heroes to their watery graves as well as Scrooge taking full advantage of having David Tennant as his voice actor, and you have a fully satisfying episode. Nothing to dissect, analyze or read into. Not everything is a life lesson and not every episode needs to serve a story purpose. Sometimes you just need to enjoy and that’s what this episode allowed us to do.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- The “best golf player” is a tiger…. Tiger Woods…. Nicely done!
- Louie’s excitement / shattered hopes upon learning the mythical relics of Moorshire is actually just another golf game
- Maybe it’s the mythology/ urban legend buff in me, but I love that they worked Kelpies into this.
- Remember that this episode was primarily about Dewey, the one preoccupied with learning about his family and following in his uncle’s footsteps as an explorer. So having him hear that Uncle Scrooge believes in him is big for his character.
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Precision, excellence, men in funny hats” (Golf Announcer Huey)
- “Let’s hone that wildly misplaced enthusiasm” (Scrooge to Dewey)
- “Anyone else think we should ignore the murder ponies and go home?” (Louie)
- “There you have it, another brass young upstart destined to surpass his aging mentor.”/ “Is the commentary still necessary?”/ “It helps me feel in control during a frankly insane situation.” (Huey/ Scrooge/ Huey)
- “I like talking this way because it makes everything sound important. Baloney Trampoline” (Golf Announcer Launchpad)
- “You pull a club out of a Scotsman’s hand , you’d best be prepared to KNOCK him out with it” (Scrooge)
Image Credit: Disney
Joe primarily covers video games news (i.e.: Pokemon, Spyro & Destiny) as well as the occasional ‘Theory Thursday’ pieces. Before writing for FanFest, Joe was the Creator & Editor of TheInsightfulPanda.com. He is also an illustrator and is currently working on Season 3 of his not-for-profit, fan-art crossover series PokéRangers on Instagram.