After what seems like an eternity, Ducktales is back! It’s been a grueling few months waiting for this reboot to return. In fact, it had been so long I was fearing it was canceled; but with news that the series has already been renewed for a Season 2 we can put our fears aside and journey to the fabled island of Ithaquack, where Gods, Curses and Advanture abound!
So check your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 10, “The Spear of Selene!”
One of the biggest mysteries in this new series is the fate of Della Duck – Huey, Dewey & Louie’s mom and former adventuring partner of Scrooge and Donald. We learned of this way back at the start of the Season where we found a note from Della apologizing for taking the Spear of Selene. And thus to find out more about this mysterious transgression, Dewey and Webby orchestrate a plan to make the team crash land on Ithaquack, the island of ancient wonders but also a place where Scrooge and Donald appear to have a bit of history themselves.
Unlike all episodes before, this was the first episode to truly begin to show some of Scrooge and Donald’s old dynamic. We already knew they were 2/3rds of an adventure team; but this is where we actually get to hear about those adventures. From the moment they land, we can see that the two have a history here – and then we meet Zeus and Storkules. So it’s only fitting that the island that Dewey and Webby hope to give clues about Della time in Team Scrooge also give us a look into Team Scrooge as a whole. The most poignant of which is found during Donald’s refusals of ‘adventuring’ citing that “somebody always gets hurt”. He looks someber and Storkules seems to understand as well. I personally doubt that the answer will be ‘he died’ – even though that’s what the tone is hinting at – but instead will be like she is locked somewhere or they’re no longer speaking because of how hurt she almost got.
There’s still a lot more information that we need to uncover, but the other noticeable theme of this episode is also set up with comments relating to Della. I’m of course talking about when Dewey is nervous about finding those answers from fears that he’ll learn his mom was a bad person. Thankfully they meet Selene, who puts all those fears to rest in one of the most touching scenes I’ve seen in an animated show – or TV in general – for quite a while. Though this all serves as a wonderful juxtaposition to the other ‘parent’ of the episode, Zeus. Unlike Della, Zeus really isn’t a good guy and even manipulates his son just so he can get revenge. Family has always been a big recurring theme on this show and the Zeus/ Della juxtaposition is just another well-crafted example just like Ma Beagle and her boys as well as Magica and Lena.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- The ‘tiny chimera on the hillside’ Webby keeps flipping out about on the scale model, we saw it (or its baby?) in the opening moments. And it actually is quite tiny!
- Ithaquack is actually an existing location in the Ducktales universe and was featured in the original series.
- Storkules’s nicknames for Huey and Louie (Hubert Tamer of Winds and Llewelyn Fighter of Storms) actually reveal their “real (Full) names” – as confirmed by Louie: Hubert and Llewelyn.
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Oh come on, a little lightning never killed anyone”/ “Statistically speaking….” (Launchpad/ Huey)
- “Ok, stop assuming I know things. Like baseline, assume I know nothing” (Dewey)
- “Your tongue be as quick and as mighty as…. well… me!” (Storkules)
- “Plug your ears, no good ever came from a creepy child singing!” (Scrooge)
- “NO! My fists betray my heart!” (Storkules)
- “Don’t give up young duck, your mother never did” (Goddess Selene)
Joe primarily covers video games news (i.e.: Pokemon, Spyro & Destiny) as well as the occasional ‘Theory Thursday’ pieces. Before writing for FanFest, Joe was the Creator & Editor of TheInsightfulPanda.com. He is also an illustrator and is currently working on Season 3 of his not-for-profit, fan-art crossover series PokéRangers on Instagram.