After what’s felt like an eternity – but it’s only been a few months – Ducktales is back and with it another incredible adventure similar to our last episode. Though instead of undead Egyptian God and pyramids, we have cursed mountains. “The Impossible Summit of Mt Neverrest!” brings back the usual dual storytelling style of past Ducktales episodes by giving us the title adventure as well as our most sustained adventure with Launchpad yet!
So pull up your DVR or check out the link below to watch it on Disney XD, and take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 08, “The Impossible Summit Of Mt. Neverrest!”
–WATCH HERE ON DISNEY XD –
As I began to mention earlier, this episode brought us back to the fun dual storytelling we’ve seen from Ducktales since Episode 1. Sometimes the two stories converge and other times one story becomes two. This week’s episode was option 2 as Louie decided to stay back and Launchpad gets stranded back at camp. What follows is another unique Launchpad adventure that is not only more fleshed out than his grand unseen adventure in “The House of the Lucky Gander!” but also very reminiscent – and more sustained than his time in “Terror of the Terra-firmians!” This time around, it’s not a few comedic moments, but actually a full mini story that give him and Louie a chance to do what they do best! Though while Launchpad and Louie were up to their old tricks, Scrooge was actually progressing as a character.
The single greatest improvement that Ducktales has given over the original series – and most children’s cartoons nowadays is character development – both in background and progression. And this episode gave Scrooge both! We got to see where Scrooge 75 years prior after he made his first million. This was a very different duck than we know today – unsure, by the book, etc – and that is why it lends so well to his development not only as a character overall but his motivations in this episode as a whole. He wants to one up George Mallardy and in many ways has become him. It’s as if he’s devoted his life to being a better Mallardy than Mallardy ever was. And when we hear Scrooge tell Huey that they don’t need all that gear, that is him actually filling that role.
Though it’s not just seeing where Scrooge came from that made this episode important, it’s seeing how he changed yet again when faced with a choice. His desire to one-up and completely conquer Mallardy’s legacy drives him all the way to the top and Scrooge- like Mallardy before him – almost sacrifices the lives of those with him for a chance to make it to the top. Though in the end, Scrooge chooses his team and they all make it out alive. In the end, Scrooge was a better man than Mallardy; but getting even further up the mountain had nothing to do with it.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- It’s interesting that even though the mountain’s name is a play on Everest, it is spelled ‘Neverrest’ (NeverRest) as opposed to Neverest.
- The “Impossible Summit” part of the episode title refers to both the difficulty as well as the strange unearthly phenomenon occurring at the summit.
- Seriously though, why does the sun wear sunglasses? That would mean he’s looking at another brighter sun. You’re blowing my mind Huey!
- Those name tag key-chains never do have Dewey…
- Once you watch the episode fully, go back to the cave portion. Notice how those aren’t severed heads but rather travelers going headfirst through the wormholes. Nice touch animators!
- Now does the end mean that the path to the top was ‘under their nose the whole time’ or was that to show the Mountain truly protecting itself from being explored
- Favorite Quotes:
- “That man (Santa Claus) is not allowed in my home. He knows what he did!” (Scrooge)
- “You realize there’s a difference between quitting and dying right?” / “Not to me!” (Louie/ Scrooge)
- “We’re going to sled down Mt Neverrest?” “And or die trying!” (Webby/ Dewey)
- “It’ll be worth it when we find the treasure of Mt Neverrest!”/ “There is no treasure of Mt Neverrest…”/ “Nope! Louie out!” (Louie/ Scrooge/ Louie)
- “Just because it’s a myth doesn’t mean it’s not true” (Scrooge)
- “No! This will not be the end of Launchpad McQwack! It’ll be by plane crash or not at all!” (Launchpad)
- “If I had a nickel for every person who cursed me with their dying breath, I’d be twice as rich as I already am.” (Scrooge)
Episode 08 – Episode 07 – Episode 06 – Episode 05 – Episode 04 – Episode 03 – Episode 02 – Episode 01
Joe primarily covers video games news (i.e.: Pokemon, Spyro & Destiny) as well as the occasional ‘Theory Thursday’ pieces. Before writing for FanFest, Joe was the Creator & Editor of TheInsightfulPanda.com. He is also an illustrator and is currently working on Season 3 of his not-for-profit, fan-art crossover series PokéRangers on Instagram.