Today Square Enix unveiled their upcoming crossover event linking the online MMO Final Fantasy XIV with their latest single player Final Fantasy entry, Final Fantasy XV.
Along with the reveal, Square Enix presented a new trailer giving players a taste of what’s to come:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o-CtZGjJGc]The crossover will see Noctis Caelum, the hero of Final Fantasy XV, stumbling into the world of Hydaelyn with the Regalia. While in Hydaelyn, Noctis will fight alongside the Warrior of Light against the forces of evil, including magitek armor, infantry and Garuda – the Messenger hailing from Eros.
Aside from the surprising crossover news, Square Enix also revealed details for the long awaited third expansion for Final Fantasy XIV – entitled Shadowbringers – which will launch world wide on July 2nd, 2019 with pre-orders going live on February 6th, 2019.
Shadowbringers will bring many changes to the world of Final Fantasy XIV, including a new gunbreaker job as well as a new race called Viera. You can watch the teaser trailer for Shadowbringers below:
[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjPVSF2dpUE]Here’s a quick breakdown of new features in Shadowbringers:
- New Job: The gunbreaker – master of the gunblade. See the gunbreaker in action below:
- New Playable Race: The Viera – rabbit-like wardens of the wood. See a preview of the Viera below:
- Trust System: An all-new system allowing players to tackle Shadowbringers instanced dungeons with familiar NPCs by their side (Excluding dungeons requiring more than 4 party members).
- New Areas: Il Mheg – a lush, awe-inspiring vale, and the Rak’tika Greatwood – a sprawling forest of ancient, towering sentinels.
- A glimpse of Il Mheg:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVVsm-9-o4E]
- A glimpse of Rak’tika Greatwood:[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItY4mNnRnsU]
- New Beast Tribe and Primal: The pixies and their almighty regent, Titania
- New Alliance Raid: YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse – from the minds of renowned NieR creators Yosuke Saito and YOKO TARO.
Details were also released about the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers Collector’s Edition which includes:
- Shadowbringers Special Art Box – A unique silver-inlaid box featuring an illustration by artist Yoshitaka Amano.
- Dark Knight Figure – An impressive high-quality figure that features the Warrior of Darkness as a dark knight.
- Shadowbringers Art Book – An art book featuring a wealth of illustrations and concept art used in the creation of the expansion.
- Shadowbringers Logo Sticker Cling – A reusable vinyl cling featuring the Shadowbringers
- Final Fantasy XIV Playing Cards – A deck of playing cards featuring a range of artwork from A Realm Reborn through Shadowbringers.
- Exclusive In-Game Items: Grani Mount, Wind-up Fran Minion and Revolver Gunbreaker Weapon.
There is also a bonus for all who pre-order, including early access to the expansion beginning on June 28th, 2019, regardless of which edition you purchase. On or around March 1st, 2019 at 12:01 AM all who preorder will be given a Baby Gremlin Minion and an Aetheryte Earring which grants a 30% increase in EXP when worn, up to level 70, as well as attributes that vary based on the user’s class/job and current level.
Those wanting more information on Shadowbringers should turn it to the Fan Festival in Tokyo on March 23rd and 24th, 2019. The festival can be viewed on Twitch at: https://www.twitch.tv/finalfantasyxiv
Have you been keeping up with the world of Final Fantasy XIV? Do you enjoy Final Fantasy in an MMO setting or a single player setting more? Let us know in the comments!