It’s an interesting phrase, “blood of my blood.” It’s used in marriage vows to signify the union between two people. It’s also used to describe other bonds that have transcended a biological relation to become the closest of the close. Outlander is full of these types of bonds. Let’s take a look at five of them, as at least one will be showing up at Fraser’s Ridge this week.
- Jamie & Claire. This post would have zero credibility if we didn’t put the Frasers first. Their love knows no bounds- war, hurricanes, imprisonment, and even time itself cannot keep them apart. At their wedding, they promised each other that they were “blood of my blood and bone of my bone.” It is a bond that will endure all and cannot be broken. Which is good, because there’s no other bond that is as frequently tested as theirs.
- Jamie & Murtagh. We’re cheating a bit with this one, as Jamie and Murtagh actually do share blood. But Murtagh’s role in Jamie’s life as gone far beyond simply relative or Godfather. He has stood on the battlefield with Jamie, protected his secrets, and helped him become the man that he is today. We couldn’t be happier now that Murtagh is back in Jamie’s life.
- Claire & Murtagh. Claire and Murtagh have always shared a different sort of bond than Jamie and Murtagh. They are both willing to set their lives on the line for Jamie, which brought them closer back in season one. But Murtagh is also the only one in the past who knows the truth of Claire’s origins, as well as the only one who knows about Brianna. It makes him a confidante as well as a relative by marriage. With him around, Claire can let down her guard a bit.
- Claire & Jamie & Fergus. Claire and Jamie were denied the chance to raise either of their daughters together, but they did have some time together with their adopted French son. Jamie found Fergus as a young boy, stealing his way through life in a brothel in Paris. Jamie brought him home to Claire and they took him under their wing. Now grown and about to become a father himself, Fergus carries the Fraser name and all that comes with that. He’s a fine man, and Claire and Jamie can be proud of the son that they have taught well.
- Jamie & Lord John Grey. This is an exceptionally complicated relationship, which is why we saved it for last. Jamie and Claire met John Grey as just a young man, where they left him alive. He swore a blood debt to them for his life. This was later fulfilled by his older brother, who spared Jamie’s life after Culloden. Then John took over as warden at Ardsmuir Prison, where Jamie was incarcerated. Then John showed up as the Governor of Jamaica when Claire and Jamie were looking for Young Ian. Now he’s about to ride into Fraser’s Ridge. This time, though, he won’t be alone. He’s bringing his usual unrequited love for Jamie, but he’s also bringing Willie, Jamie’s son. Will the boy discover his true heritage, or will Jamie and John be able to keep their secrets?
Outlander episode 406, “Blood of My Blood,” airs Sunday, December 9th at 8 pm on Starz. Viewers can also watch on Starz.com and the Starz mobile app. Be sure to check back here to FanFest.com for full episode recaps and future episode previews.