With Rent Live just around the corner, January 27th, we’re all wondering who is going to play our favorite artists.
Rent is a modern take on the classic Puccini opera, La Bohème, it follows seven artists who struggle to follow their dreams during a time of great social and political turmoil, taking place in the middle of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Rent first appeared off-Broadway in 1996 and originally starred Taye Diggs, Jesse L. Martin, Idina Menzel and Anthony Rapp.
The main cast has been set. Who’s filling these iconic roles?
- Jordan Fisher as Mark Cohen, the struggling filmmaker and narrator for the story. He documents his friends’ struggles throughout the year.
- Brennin Hunt as Roger Davis, the once successful musician and ex-junkie who carries a lot of baggage, including being HIV positive.
- Vaness Hudgens as Maureen Johnson, the unapologetically flirtatious performer who is Mark’s ex-girlfriend and Joanne’s current girlfriend.
- Kiersey Clemons as Joanne Jefferson, the Ivy League-educated lawyer who is Maureen’s girlfriend.
- Tinashe as Mimi Marquez, an exotic dancer and addict. Mimi is HIV positive and Roger’s love interest.
- Brandon Victor Dixon as Tom Collins, an ex-MIT professor who strives to bring awareness to the AIDS epidemic.
- Valentina as Angel Dumott Schunard, a young drag queen who is living with AIDS and steals Tom’s heart.
- Mario as Benjamin Coffin III who is Mark and Roger’s landlord and ex-roommate. He sold out and married into a wealthy family.
Rent Live airs January 27th, 2019 on Fox.