Geeklings, a verrrrrrrrryyyyy Happy New Comic Book Day to you all. I’m happy to say that after last week’s Mega Pull List that this week we’re back to our normal setting. There were just far too many books last week. Hell, I still haven’t had a chance to read them all. I’ve been busy. I know, I know, that’s on me.
This week is one of those glorious New Comic Book Days because we sit on the eve of Avengers Infinity War. Geeklings, it comes out tomorrow. Tomorrow. I’m so excited that I’m not excited (if that even makes sense). My body is so overwhelmed with this movie that it’s almost shut down because it can’t handle it anymore. At this point, I might just pass out when I get to the theater. This is geek Christmas my friends and these next twenty-four hours are going to drag.
It’s a good thing we have comic books to pass the time though. Let’s take our minds off the impending awesome that is Infinity War… if only temporarily.
1. Hunt For Wolverine #1– If there is one rule in comic books it’s that no one stays dead forever… unless you’re Uncle Ben. With Wolverine though, Marvel pushed it as long as they could. Wolverine “died” four years ago and while we’ve had plenty of Old Man Logan we haven’t had any of present-day Wolverine, until now that is. That’s right, everyone’s favorite cigar smoking, “bub” saying, ass kicker is back and he doesn’t want to be found. I find this a little ironic considering there was a time where Wolverine seemed to be in every Marvel book. The return of Logan looks to be super ambitious of Marvel as it will kick off four different mini-series all with the intent of finding Wolverine and bringing him back to the fold. It all starts here though. Where has Wolverine been? Why does he want to stay off the radar? How did he come back to life, and are we going to ignore the fact that he’s already popped up in a number of books including the Infinity Countdown series? This is where you’ll start to find those answers.
2. Thanos Annual #1– One of the hidden gems of recent Marvel books has been Donny Cates’s run on Thanos, but sadly it draws to a close with Annual #1. If you haven’t read this series do yourself a favor and change that. We get a future where Thanos is King, the Silver Surfer wields Thor’s hammer, the Cosmic Ghost Rider is actually… I’m not telling you, and Thanos keeps the Hulk as a pet. What better way to get ready for the awesome of Thanos in Infinity War than reading this series. Or, flip that, if you leave the movie needing more Thanos in your life then you know where to go. Sad to see this one end.
3. Saga #51– Seriously, I have to write about this one? It’s Saga people. Read it. Love it. Cherish it. This is what comic books are all about. Actually, this is what tremendous storytelling is all about. Read. Saga. That is all.
4. The Mighty Thor #706– Jason Aaron’s Thor run is everything I love about comic books. Everything. It’s exciting, complex, emotional, impactful, and fun. This has been a tremendous series and for all those who doubted if Jane Foster was worthy to hold Thor’s hammer… I hope this series has changed your mind. Jane Foster’s arc as Thor was nothing short of tremendous and I’m sad to see it close. Issue #706 looks to give her a send-off worthy of the Goddess of Thunder. Jane Foster deserves to be celebrated as does Aaron who has been pumping phenomenal Thor books for five years or so. The Avengers are in good hands.
5. The Invincible Iron Man #599- There are only two Bendis Marvel books left after this and as we near the end there are still a number of loose ends that need to be tied up. I fully expect Iron Man to wrap all of Bendis’s run on Marvel and what better way to do that then with the return of Tony Stark. After a number of teases, it appears that Tony is officially back. For real this time. Seriously. What happens to Doctor Doom and Riri Williams? Well, that’s why we’re going to read. Fitting that Tony returns on the eve of Infinity War.
Honorable Mentions- Batman and The Signal #3 & The Despicable Deadpool #299
There you have it Geeklings, all the best books to get your mitts on this week. As always if you feel like I’ve left anything off I present to you the comments. If you’d like to talk more comics with yours truly then head over to Twitter and drop me a line @iamgeek32. Also, if you see Infinity War in the next few days I ask that you respect your geeky peers who have to wait. No spoilers. Let everyone experience this movie as it was intended. Celebrate it together. Thanos demands silence after all. Until next week friends, happy reading and many huzzahs!
Images from Marvel, DC, and Image Comics.