It’s happening you guys. A global take over of the weather phenomenon known as a Sharknado is coming to Syfy this summer and we’ve got some awesome new details about it!
First, the official title of the latest installment of Syfy’s campy series is Sharknado 5: Global Swarming. Pretty prophetic and topical title based on what’s going on in the real world this week. The Sharknados are going global and are taking over cities all over the world.
Ian Ziering and Tara Reid are, of course returning, for the global battle. Check out the official synopsis for the upcoming fifth Sharknado installment:
In Sharknado 5: Global Swarming, the mission gets personal for Fin Shepard (Ian Ziering) and his bionic wife, April (Tara Reid) when their young son gets trapped in a traveling ‘nado and transported all over the world. From London to Rio, Tokyo, Rome, Amsterdam and beyond, our globetrotting heroes will seek assistance from a highly-skilled squad of royals, scholars and Olympians, enlisting famous faces from news, entertainment, and sports in their most epic battle yet.
Pretty crazy, right? Of course, any Sharknado film wouldn’t exist without an obscurely awesome listing of cameo appearances by celebrities and pseudo-celebs. They may have outdone themselves this time around because, this list is AMAZING! Syfy’s official list, to date, for the cameo roles consists of the following:
- Fabio (Model) as the Pope
- Tony Hawk (Professional skateboarder) as a masterful weapons operative strategist
- Clay Aiken (Musician) as Llewelyn, a cutting edge technology genius
- Olivia Newton-John (Musician) and daughter Chloe Lattanzi as Orion and Electra, two brilliant scientists who help defend Australia from a looming Sharknado
- Bret Michaels (Musician) as a visiting artist that gets trapped in the storm
- Margaret Cho (Comedian) as a fussy bride whose honeymoon is interrupted by sharks
- Charo (Musician, Comedian) as The Queen of England
- Gilbert Gottfried (Comedian) as storm chaser Ron McDonald
- Al Roker, Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb (Today hosts) as themselves
- Greg Louganis (Olympic diving medalist) as Zico, a high-end art thief, and Tom Daley (Olympic diving medalist) as himself
- Gus Kenworthy (Olympic freeskiing medalist ) and Jeff Rossen (NBC News investigative correspondent) as themselves
- Porsha Williams (The Real Housewives of Atlanta) as Andromeda, an archeologist and member of the elite “Sharknado Sisterhood”
- Tiffany “New York” Pollard (Flavor of Love) as Vega, a Brazilian black market artifacts dealer
- Chris Kattan (Saturday Night Live) as The Prime Minister of England
- Cat Greenleaf (Talk Stoop) and Dan Fogler (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) as themselves
- Ross Mullan (Game of Thrones White Walker) as Dr. Wobbegon, a scientist who has made breakthroughs in meteorological studies to track Sharknado storms
Lastly, we have an official premiere date! Sharknado 5: Global Swarming will be touching down on Syfy this summer on August 8th.
If you’re not caught up on what’s been happening in the Sharknado world, don’t worry! We’re pretty sure it doesn’t actually matter but, also, you can bet Syfy will run a marathon at some point leading up the premiere of Global Swarming.
What do you think of the new Sharknado official synopsis, title and cameo listing? Who would you want to see make a cameo in an upcoming Sharknado film (because you know there will be more!)? Sound off in the comment section below.