Geeklings, this whole having Monday off has totally thrown my week for the preverbal loop. I almost forgot that today was Wednesday. Picture that. Me. The comic book guy. Almost forgot that today is New Comic Book Day. I wish I could blame it over the heartache I feel over the break up of Taylor Swift and Loki but I’d be lying. I will blame it on a long day and being sort of tired. Those sound more fair plus don’t you kind of want a Taylor Swift break up song called “Low Key”. I know, it pretty much writes itself.
Now that I have discovered that today is in fact New Comic Book Day I suppose it would be in my best interest to talk about some comics. Because we all know that comic books make the world go round. That and the gravitational pull from the sun. #science
It didn’t know it until just now but I’ve wanted to use that meme for-ev-er. Life complete. I almost feel like riding off into the sunset, but not until I cover your must buy comics for the week. Because (a) it’s fun (b) that’s why you’re reading this column in the first place and (c) I’m not a monster.
Pimp Spot Books Assemble!!!
1. Walking Dead #158– The Whisper War continues in the newest issue of Robert Kirkman’s undead saga. Negan is on the loose, a major character death is revealed (*gasp*), and things are really starting to take off. Negan is hands down the best villain the comic has created and the perfect foil to Rick. Kirkman has teased for awhile now that Rick will not survive to the end of the series and one has to wonder if the Whisper War will end up being his swan song. Being only two issues into the arc it’s hard to tell but Rick has yet to face a foe quite like this. In other Walking Dead news prepare your eyeholes because come October I’ll be handling the previews and the reviews on this very website. I’m all types of pumped and now you are too. Yay shameless self promotion!
2. Batman Rebirth #6– Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na Batman Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na-Na Batman Batman Batmaaaaaaaaaan Welcome to The Pull List where your fearless leader is not afraid to sing to you. You’re welcome. At this point in the game how hard do I need to sell you on Batman comics? We’ve been doing this for awhile and Tom King has been providing some excellent stories with Rebirth. Plus Batman looks kind of pissed on this cover and don’t we all love our Batman a little pissed off? Of course we do.
3. Doctor Strange #11– If you’re not reading a book written by Jason Aaron at this point I have to start wondering if you just don’t like comic books. My man is killing it on all his book titles (see Thor and Star Wars) and things are no different here with Doctor Strange. The story telling is fantastic and the art is engaging and worthy of either phone or tablet wallpaper. It totally captures the mood. Plus, and I don’t know if you know this, but Doctor Strange has a movie coming out this fall and this book would be a great way to introduce yourself to the Sorcerer Supreme before then.
4. Aquaman Rebirth #6– Holy crap you guys! I think we are about to embark on a Pull List first. This is the first time in the history of this column where an Aquaman comic has made it into the Pimp Spot. Whoa. This is some historic shiz right here. Like most of the world I have never been a big fan of Aquaman but with the DC movie universe looking to change him into Khal Fish Talker, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t interested. The Rebirth run has been pretty good to Aquaman and this issue sees a bloody story arc run into the Man of Steel. That’s right, it’s Superman vs Aquaman in the underwater death match you’ve been craving. I think that’s plenty of reason to buy this book, don’t you?
5. Justice League Rebirth #4– This is one of the few Rebirth books that has had a bit of a rocky start, but there’s hope. Implementing the pre-New 52 Superman on the team has caused a bit of strife and now we’re in a situation where Superman can really earn the trust of his new/old team mates. I know what you’re thinking, “Kevin, don’t you hate Superman? Why give us two books with him in it?” And the answer to this is to be fair. Just because I don’t like the Boy Scout doesn’t mean I don’t see that some of you do. So here you Superman lovers! Enjoy your books.
There you have it Geeklings, these are the books to get your grubby little mitts on. I say that as a compliment as I too have grubby little mitts… wow that just sounds weird. Can we move on? Enjoy your comics guys and as always the comments section is yours. Happy reading!
Images from Marvel, DC, Image, and AMC