Well, it’s Mooooonday everyone! You know what that means! It’s time for another ‘Monday Night Match-up’, DC vs Marvel style. So far you have voted via social media that Oliver Queen would take the crown versus Hawkeye. You voted that Captain America would beat Batman. Thor was voted to beat out Superman. The battle of Sara Lance and Natasha Romanoff was the greatest battle we have seen so far. Sara beat Natasha by the mere single digits. All polls were incredibly close! Now, while all of these heroes have super-abilities, how about we talk about those tiny heroes, with a big heart? Ray Palmer (Atom) and Scott Lang (Ant-Man).
Given their amazing technological abilities, it’s all going to come down to sciences. While Ray Palmer may have a PhD.. or you know, like 5o of them, Scott Lang is pretty tactically sound. Also, he’s got the ants on his side. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been bitten by a bunch of ants before and it’s really not fun.
Brandon Routh has made his mark in the DC Universe as Raymond Palmer aka ‘The Atom’, bringing the character to life in the CW series Arrow. He also is now a key member to a team of ‘Legends’ on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow. Paul Rudd has also made recently his mark in the superhero universe as Marvel’s Scott Lang aka Ant-Man. Both actors have done a phenomenal job in their various roles, and I absolutely love what they each have brought to the screen as their respective characters.
You know the drill! If these characters cinema personalities were to wage their own ‘battle’ (Whatever the reason) onto each other… Who would come out the champion? Let us take a closer look at their abilities and skills, and you determine the outcome. It’s a DC vs Marvel match-up!
The Atom (Ray Palmer) Abilities
- Microscopic Stability: When wearing The Atom suit, Ray’s physiology remains stable when he is miniaturized.
- Martial Arts: Ray Palmer often finds himself in situation where physical violence become necessary. He has some skills in the martial arts form Judo.
- Intellect: Ray is known for being one of the ‘top minds’ in the world; he is one of the most intelligent people on the planet.
- Physics: Dr. Palmer has a Ph.D. in physics, along with a few other degrees.
- Size Alteration: Able to shrink his body all the way down to the subatomic level. As the Atom, Ray can assume any size from his normal six-foot stature down to sub-microscopic. He also at one point, was able to enlargen his costume to fight off one of Vandal Savage’s robotic monsters.
- Mass Alteration: He is able to instantly alter his molecular density to whatever degree he desires.
- Flight: When wearing the Atom suit, he is able to take flight.
- Increased Strength: By shifting all his mass into his fists he can punch with an incredible force.
Ant Man (Scott Lang) Abilities
- Expert Thief: Lang was skilled in theft, specializing in breaking into buildings without getting captured. He is also skilled with utilizing chemistry when opening locked safes and bypassing security systems.
- Engineer: Lang was an electrical engineer, having earned a Master’s Degree in the subject.
- Acrobatics: Lang is very skill in acrobatics, parkour and maneuvers, leaping across steep divides and climbing difficult structures. He is capable of performing this in his normal structure, as well as his shruken state.
- Skilled Tactician: As an expert thief, Lang has a keen mind for formulating elaborate plans and schemes, and is especially notable for being able to modify those plans to adapt to unforeseen circumstances at short notice – sometimes within seconds.
- Martial Artist: After gaining some training from Hope (aka Wasp), he was trained to be a pretty decent fighter.
- Size Alteration: He is able to shrink his body all the way down to the submicroscopic level. He also at one point, was able to enlargen his costume in the airport battle in Captain America: Civil War.
- EMP Communication Device: His helmet contains an EMP device, allowing for the control of ants.
- Pym Particles Disks: Scott has these disks that can alter the size of objects. Objects impacted by Red Disks shrinks in size. Objects impacted by Blue Disks enlarges to a great size.
Jules Vote: I’m going to have to go with Ant-Man on this one. Based on his experience with stealth and his ability to alter his plans to fit any tactical solution.