‘DuckTales’ WATCH & Review – Episode #13: “McMystery at McDuck McManor!!”
Ducktales – like most shows – have episodes that range between filler and plot movers. This week’s episode promised to explore how Scrooge doesn’t like birthday parties. Why is that? Would we get backstory to this and Scrooge’s character? Well, no; but it DID introduce a new recurring character – as well as the final missing member of the OG Team McDuck!
So pull up your DVRs – or just click on the link below – and let’s get ready to take a Closer Look at Ducktales (2017) Episode 13, “McMystery at McDuck McManor!!”
13 episodes in and we’ve had all of the original Ducktales cast reintroduced except one: Scrooge’s trusty butler Duckworth! This episode did kick off with a nice nod to him, although sadly it was in the past tense. It turns out Duckworth WAS Scrooge’s most trusted butler who passed away sometime before the nephews came to live with Scrooge. Though despite the episode progressing with more and more instances of Huey trying to ‘show up’/ people praising Ducksworth, the return of Ducksworth still takes the viewer by surprise! We’ve seen a lot of mystical happenings in this show, but we’d never expect a friendly ghost. And it’s what that friendly ghost can bring to this show that really has me excited!
We’ve seen some pretty fun interactions between Mrs Beakley and other characters, but all of those pale in comparison to what we see between her and Ducksworth. From Ducksworth insulting every aspect of how Mrs Beakley performs her job to Mrs Beakley flat out telling Ducksworth that she preferred it when he was dead. These two definitely give off a Niles vs C.C. (The Nanny) vibe and I can’t wait to hear more of their history/ see more of their passive-aggressive/ aggressive-aggressive remarks. Though one of the most important ‘detail drops’ we hear is how Ducksworth would have never let Scrooge’s villains get into the mansion. This episode certainly brought together many of Scrooge’s nemeses, but not all of them. Magica DeSpell is still out there and she has a definite reason to get into Scrooge’s mansion to claim his Number One Dime. Perhaps Ducksworth can offer some defense on that front.
Things That “Quacked” Us Up – Easter Eggs, Quotes & More:
- Can we take a second to appreciate the fact that the butler did indeed do it? lol
- DJ Daft Duck… Love it! He’s got the Daft Punk-esque helmet and everything
- We also learned a sense of time in this episode. It’s been approximately two months since Episode 4
- Awwww, look at how happy Scrooge was to see Duckworth come back!
- One thing I particularly love about this series as a whole is how it balances childlike fun while also keeping it interesting for adults. It has levels and doesn’t baby the viewer, but rather treats them with respect by giving them all types of humor. From the sound effects to the occasional touches of dark humor, this episode perfectly captures all of that!
- Favorite Quotes:
- “Spelled with two K’s, because I made the C’s disappear!” (Nik Nokturne)
- “Shut it, Black Arts” (Ma Beagle)
- “But rob him of what you ask?”/ “He didn’t ask!” (Black Arts/ Ma Beagle)
- “She held us hostage two months ago!”/ “You gave me one hour to put together a guest list!” (Huey/ Louie)
- “No seriously, how is this guy one of Scrooge’s nemeses?” (Ma Beagle referring to Mark Beaks)
- “Took Scrooge? No, I was trying to kill Scrooge. That’s like my whole thing.” / “FYI, you’re terrible at your thing.” (Glomgold/ Beaks)
- “Bless b-bless bless me bagpipes!” (Daft Duck)
- “Now I’ll never be able to throw a party better than Duckworth”/ “Also, you’ll be dead!” (Huey/ Louie)
- “Don’t kill me! I’ve barely lived #YOLO #FOMO #Aaaah” (Mark Beaks)
- “Mrs Beakley, how nice of you to finally return after abandoning your post. Thankfully I was here to pick up your slack. Tell me, do you typically keep the house this shabby?” (Duckworth being UBER Passive Aggressive)
- “I preferred it when you were dead.” (Mrs Beakley being Aggressive Aggressive)