Just last week, HBO confirmed our worst fear – Game of Thrones will not be returning this year. Instead, the epic conclusion to the fan-favorite series will air at some point in 2019.
While fans had a pretty good idea that this would be the case, that doesn’t make the wait for the series’ return any easier. On Thursday, however, HBO programming president Casey Bloys promised fans that the long wait will be worth it.
Bloys said that David Benioff and Dan Weiss requested some extra time in order to perfect the final chapters of the series. He told Entertainment Weekly:
“Here’s what I’ll tell you: They take the time they need to do the show at its highest level of quality. As the show has gone on, it’s gotten bigger — big battle scenes, big special effects. These things take time. Here’s the one thing I can assure you: Dan and Dave were not sitting around on a beach waiting to go back to work. They’re perfectionists and this is the soonest it can come back at a level of quality that they are comfortable with.”
In addition to commenting on the delayed final season, Bloys also spoke briefly about the upcoming spinoff series giving a quick update on the progress of development and also the timing in which we might see a prequel come to television. he said:
“They’re moving along. We have some really talented writers working on them. The one thing I will tell you, which we talked about before, any sort of pilot-to-series [order], there’s not going to be anything on our air for a least a year after Game of Thrones airs. We’re not using the final season to launch a new show or anything like that. There’s going to be a separation between the two. These are among the best writers working and I’m hopeful.”
What do you think? Do you think the season delay for Game of Thrones will result in a high quality and epic conclusion? Are you excited to see the spinoff series? Tell us what you think in the comment section below!