From NBC News, this is Today with Matt Lauer and Savannah Guthrie. Live from Studio 1A in Rockefeller Plaza.
For 20 years we have heard Matt Lauer’s voice on TV and today, January 6, 2017 marks this milestone for him. How the time flies.
“But that means it’s a good thing,” Lauer explains. “That means it’s been fun and interesting and challenging.”
@TODAYshow tweeted a throw back photo of Matt from 1997 to compare to today in 2017.
Let’s take a look at some of our favorite Matt moments on Today.
- Where in the World is Matt Lauer? This 10 season series had Lauer trotting all over the globe. To more than 60 countries in fact! He revealed to Access Hollywood that the favorite part about his final trip was “looking out over the glaciers and the Swiss Alps” in Jungfraujoch, Switzerland.
- He is an excellent journalist. He has broken dozens of stories including Charlie Sheen revealing he was HIV positive. And he has interviewed anyone and everyone who has made an impact in society.
- He isn’t afraid to call people out during their interviews. Like his Ryan Lochte interview or when he called out Donald Trump for his tweet about sexual assault in the military. He asks the questions that are not only important but that people want to know the answers to. But he also has a soft side.
- All of his co-anchors! Katie Couric, Ann Curry, Meredith Vieira, Natalie Morales and Savannah Guthrie. And we can’t forget Al Rocker, Tamron Hall, and Hoda Kotb; who’ve worked with Matt throughout the years as well. And they’ve come back to help him celebrate this milestone. Watch all the loving memories they shared with him here at Today.com.
- His special bond with Wrangler. Wrangler was Today’s “Puppy with a Purpose” and he was being trained to become a guide dog. He quickly became a favorite on the show and the bond between him and Matt was undeniable.
- Aside from being a serious journalist, he has a comedic side. He has interviewed Muppets like Miss Piggy and has dawned many Halloween costumes and seems to find a way to have a good time when he interviewed celebrities.
- The prank war with Ellen DeGeneres. One prank had Matt wearing an S&M- esque outfit while interviewing the Fifty Shades of Grey cast.
- He is super charitable. Who else would bike 230 miles from Fenway Park to Studio 1A all for charity?
- 10 presidential interviews, 9 Olympics, he has set the bar high for journalists to come.
- His first day on the job when they played the opening announcement again because he was so excited.