So, I’ve yet to form a solid opinion about tonight’s episode of AHS. What I can say is that I wasn’t particularly interested in what was happening. It seemed over-the-top, grotesque, and just all around in-your-face. But what else would one expect from American Horror Story at this point, right?
One thing I did find interesting about this episode was how much each character changed in the face of trauma. Each person somehow managed to become a strangely heightened version of themselves. Audrey was arguably the most hilarious this episode. She was the ultimate drama queen and chimed in with very random bits of acting lingo at the most inappropriate times.
Lee, I would say, was the most impressive—she used her smarts to get out of tough situations and proved herself to be the most sensible one of the group. I think she’ll be the one to survive in the end.
But enough about my thoughts, here’s what you need to know about Chapter 8:
- The Polks have a long history of cannibalism that started way back in the Great Depression. Their credo? “If ya ain’t Polk, ya ain’t human.” I assume this means that any non-Polk is good for the taking (eating?).
- The police have been in cahoots with The Polks for years. So, we can’t exactly expect them to be brought to justice—legally, anyway.
- Shelby, who is heartbroken over Matt’s death, slits her own throat as Dominick watches.
- Lee escapes certain death by seducing and then strangling Jether Polk, but not before admitting she killed Mason.
- The Polks believe that human teeth protect them from “The Others,” known here at Fan Fest as The Forest Cult. 😉
- Monet manages to escape the Polk farm but, like the self-absorbed person she is, she leaves Audrey behind.
- Lee swoops in to save Audrey, who then smashes Momma’s head in.
- Oh and the Pig Man showed up again. He kills Dominick at the end of the episode.
With Shelby and Dominick dead, we’re left with Lee, Audrey, and Monet.
P.S. Wes Bentley made a reappearance this episode as Dylan, the actor who played The Butcher’s son in My Roanoke Nightmare. Interestingly enough, he was wearing the Pig Man costume. Things that make you go ‘hmm’…